The Art of Preparing a Meal

So its one of the things that has given me quiet moments of joy and satisfaction. I remember back when I was making a lot less money, struggling on my own to make ends meet, trying to get the latest video game for Alex and still having to figure out every day, what the hell where we going to have for dinner. Some days I'd get lucky and Mom would have something for us. Some days I'd leave work way late, get through traffic and then have to settle for some fast food crap. But some days, many really, I would have the time to make us dinner. Dinner was never elaborate or fancy, it was what we liked. I remember while we sat and ate, how proud I would feel that my son and I were eating a meal that I had prepared. Even if it was just pork chops with a side of mac and cheese, he loved it! I felt mostly grateful and blessed that I could provide for us, even it was just a simple meal. I felt honored and privileged to have a life that allowed me to make dinner happen for us.


So these days, although my situation is different, I still enjoy it all the same. And more than enjoy it, I feel lucky. On the days I make dinner for the four of us now, it makes me very happy to see them finish their home cooked meal. Knowing that I made it with love, knowing that its good for them because it's not fast food, knowing that their bodies will be better for it.

So all of you who cook for your loved ones, do it with pride, do it with joy and know that you are doing something good. For those of you who had food served to them, thank the person who has prepared a meal for you. 

Provecho!

2 comments :: The Art of Preparing a Meal

  1. Hi Monica - good to visit you here today. Macaroni & cheese is food of love. My own mom never prepared it for my brother and I when we were growing up, but she prepared it for her own mom when she was growing older. I watched her chop up tasty vegetables and saw how she sparingly used cheese to moderate the level of sodium in the dish. My grandmother never knew the difference. She gobbled it up. My mom made it for her out of love. Although my recipe varies from my mom's I still use the love part. Just makes the food tast so much better! xoxo - Diane

  2. I made gramma's bread rolls for the family xmas gathering this year. Now that she has passed I felt like I was honoring her in a small way. They were a hit! ;)

Post a Comment